Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Craig99' wrote:

hi and i just want to say hi and get any advice,

first im going to uganda - gorillas in the mist tour on 19 June 2020, and wondered who else was booked on this tour and hi you want to say hi,

ive been to Kenya with just you and I wondered if this was similar, also the main thing I was thinking about was, when I went to Kenya, I thought a suit case would be too big for the jeeps, so I took a bigger back pack, but then lots of people took suit cases, so it made me think a suit case would have been better, so I just wondered if it be the same with Uganda,

I was thinking, if we are always driving around in a jeep like Kenya, then would there be enough room for suit cases, I don’t want to turn up with a suit case and be the only one and look like an idiot, so has anybody else done this tour before, also are water profs advised if we are in the jungle,

Hi Craig,

I did the Uganda trip with another company, not JY. However, JY are using the same local guides (who are excellent). I use Eastpak soft cases (with wheels) - I did have the largest case but it did fit into the jeep fine as it was soft. I would double check with JY if I were you.

In terms of waterproofs - most definitely needed!! Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is not called a rainforest for nothing! We were completely soaked through at the end of our trek, so I strongly recommend a waterproof jacket and trousers, and "dry" bags for your camera equipment. You will also need gaiters, gloves, hat etc. Ponchos do not work well if you are a keen photographer. My "Top Tips" should answer most questions!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

farmcat
(Member)
'Hils wrote:

Further to my amazing treks to find the gorillas and chimps, I thought it would help those of you who have booked this amazing holiday to give you an idea of what you need to wear/do, as follows:-

1. Decent waterproof hiking boots that have been worn in and are comfortable and have good tread (one girl went in plimsoles and had to be practically carried up and down the mountain!).

2. Long sleeved shirt and long sleeved trousers - the ones I use have insect repellent built in but you still need to put repellent on before you start.

3. Gaiters - these will protect your legs from the vegetation and stop the ants getting in!

4. Gloves (gardening will do). I didn't put these on on the chimp trek and got my hands pierced by numerous thorns. On the gorilla trek we put them on when we went down (if you slip - and you possibly will if it has been raining heavily) they will help, and also keep your hands warm.

5. Decent waterproof rain jacket - cheap ponchos proved useless, disintegrated and proved a problem when trying to take photographs.

6. Plastic bags/dry bags - everything in your rucksack will get soaked.

7. Weatherproof camera if possible, and spare, charged, batteries.

8. I used 2 trekking poles which I found were invaluable, but they will give you a long stick.

9. Sunscreen and insect repellent.

10. Hat that will cover your face and neck.

11. LOTS of water

The porter (and it is really vital that you hire one) will carry your rucksack and anything else that you shed, especially on the way up.

If going to the gym (or if you live in Scotland!) do as much hill walking as possible to strengthen your legs.

Take your time - it's not the getting there first, it's the getting there! They will put the slowest person at the front of the group (you are normally split into groups of 8/9 dependant on fitness and age (!))

Tip your porter well - they only do this once a month, and you could be relying on them for up to 10 hours!

When you reach the gorillas (and you have an 80% chance of this), the ranger who has found them will emit a call. Take as many photographs as you want obviously, but put your camera down at some point and just enjoy their presence (the gorillas, not the ranger!).

Theoretically you are not meant to make eye contact with the gorillas, but you will, and they will!

When you get back down (exhausted but happy) the lodge will clean your boots/gaiters - some charge, some do not.

Take plenty of rehydration salts with you on this trip, as you will sweat buckets - sorry, perspire, for the ladies!

If you have any knee problems (I twisted or pulled muscles/ligaments on the gorilla trek) it might be worth wearing a patella knee strap (you can get them on Amazon).

I hope this hasn't put any of you off, as it really is a "once in a lifetime" experience to see the gorillas - and the chimps. We were all very happy when we got down (and all agreed it was worth it), but won't be doing it again, so enjoy!

If there are any questions, please ask.

Cheers,

Hils

Craig99
(Member)
hi, ive got my travel insurance, but i can pay extra money to have gorilla trekking insurance added, but does cost extra and i wondered if i really need it or not, as ive got pretty good insurance, as it is, i think

i got holiday extra insurance, what do you think,

Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Craig99' wrote:

hi, ive got my travel insurance, but i can pay extra money to have gorilla trekking insurance added, but does cost extra and i wondered if i really need it or not, as ive got pretty good insurance, as it is, i think

i got holiday extra insurance,   what do you think,

Hi,

I didn't even know there was a separate charge for gorilla trekking! I did this trip with another company last September, and there was no mention of "extra" insurance! What does this cover that you are not already covered for? Two of our tour had to be stretchered down the mountain as they were not fit enough to do the trek - at a cost of $200 - but if you are fit enough you should be OK!

Personal choice obviously!

Cheers,

Hils

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Craig

My advice would be to check with your insurer if gorilla trekking is included in your cover for not. 

Lesley

KirstyK
(Member)
Hi Hils

Thank you for the good tips. I'm going on this trip in July and this is really helpful. I do have a few questions though if you don't mind!

Regarding clothing, I know you have said long sleeved shirts and trousers for the treks but what about the rest of the holiday? Are shorts, t-shirts and vest tops suitable or did you stick to trousers and long sleeved tops please?

Currency- I've seen posts from people saying they've taken anything from $300-$600 worth, does this include tips as I'm not sure how much to take in total? Also can you easily change pound sterling if needed?

Finally, when did you apply for your visa? I'm not sure how long it will take to receive.

Thanks for the wonderful tips.

I'm really looking forward to July!

Kirsty

igosolo
(Newbie)
It's ncredible but physically demanding experience. I especially appreciate the tips about proper footwear, layers, and tipping the porter well. Seems you can't overprepare for the conditions.